We were visitors to the North Highlands long before we became residents. Our love and passion for the landscape, culture and heritage pulled us back year after year until we could resist no more. We moved to the North Highlands in 2013.
Soon after our arrival we created Mey House, the north coast’s only 5-star accommodation. For five years we used our local experience to help our guests plan their holidays – at first via our online travel guide and then with a range of self-guided tours.
Now, our knowledge and passion for the North Highlands are yours to enjoy as part of our tailored chauffeured tours – designed just for you.
Robert’s passion for Scotland and specifically the North Highlands is brought to life when he is sharing his knowledge with others. His long-term interest in history and genealogy now seamlessly mixes with local folk tales and clan histories. Add to this his love of the north coast landscape and photography, and he’ll provide you with an enjoyable and informative insight into the North Highlands.
Robert says “Every journey in the Highlands reveals something new. Who knows what awaits when I next explore? But whatever I find, I look forward to sharing it with you.”
ENHANCING YOUR TOUR
• Travel in comfort and style – offering tours for up to 4 people, our premium 4×4 will take you to sites inaccessible to other tour companies.
• Learn from our own interactive database which references over 1200 locations of historic interest, wildlife habitats and great viewing points. Travelling with us on the day, it enables us to delve into a location or topic as deeply as you desire.
• Experience some of the more remote locations in a truly immersive manner via the Sky Explorer*, our flying camera. Pop on the viewing goggles and you are flown ‘virtually’ over and around the site, giving you a unique bird’s eye view into these amazing places.
• Wellington (rubber) boots and waterproof trousers are supplied for those who require them, if the Scottish weather doesn’t quite meet expectations. And we provide binoculars too.
* flying conditions permitting
North Coast Explorer Tours run from March until October.
We are sorry that we do not accept pets on our tours. Guide or Assistance dogs are of course welcome and we would ask you to advise us of this at the time of booking.
Our standard tour prices include bottled water but do not include food, although we can provide a variety of catering options on request.
Admission fees or guided tours by third parties are not included in the tour price unless stated.
We are unable to arrange accommodation, dinner or other 3rd party excursions on your behalf as this would require us to conform to the EU Package Tour Operators Directive. This would be prohibitively expensive for us and you. We can however provide recommendations once a deposit for a tour has been paid. We strongly suggest booking any multi-day tour at least 6 months in advance to ensure any third party services of your choice are available.
“We had the most fantastic time exploring royal connections, ancient burial mounds (from the inside!), castles, old WW2 radar stations, lighthouses and of course the beautiful scenery. Rob brought the area alive, from the past to the present. There is so much more to the area than John O’Groats and Rob’s knowledge and enthusiasm were truly infectious. (Gavin, Newcastle UK)
Now just sit back, relax and become a North Coast Explorer!
We look forward to meeting you!
Robert & Sally-Ann James